2nd Annual Holiday Fair & Gala a Success!
Thanks to everyone who came out for the Fair Trade Vancouver Holiday Market and Gala earlier this month. I couldn’t make it out to the market portion of the day—on account of some pretty heavy end-of-term schoolwork, but I did make it to the Gala. And as one of Fair Trade Vancouver’s resident photographers, I made sure to get plenty of good shots. We’ll have some of the photos on Facebook soon enough.
The night was a huge success. It was already dark when I arrived, but I got to see the transition from vendor marketplace to evening party place. Aside from only having one washroom (apologies to the heavy drinkers), it was the perfect venue for the event—and with the lights and decorations, it was a festive celebration for everyone.
Even if you missed the day’s Holiday Market, there was still a storefront near the entrance where Fair Trade vendors had some of their select wares for sale. Before settling in, I stopped in and grabbed a couple of Christmas gifts for my folks.
The night was quick to liven-up as people arrived to grab drinks, bid on the silent auction, and listen to some good music. Strings of life, Even Keel, and DJ Kevin Tafts were all on stage that night. And on tap we had some fine Stanley Park brews, as well as some Fair Trade wine and spiced rum (great with egg nog!).
It was a good time for celebrating this past year’s successes and a great way for people in the Fair Trade Community to get together and have some fun with family and friends.
As for the awards for the evening, congratulations to:
- · The University of British Columbia for their on-going commitment to Fair Trade souring and local sustainability initiatives
- · EcoFair Trading for their commitment to innovation, for their launch of their new coffee roasted at source
- · Fair Trade Brokers for their willingness to take on new challenges and drive product availability, with their importing of Canada's first Fair Trade beer
- · Rebecca Peel in recognition of her enthusiasm for driving awareness, with her commitment to Fair Trade costumes
- · Choices Market for their commitment to ethical and Fair Trade sourcing, both locally and globally
- · Little Mountain Coffee company as the best new coffee shop on the block
- · Ethical Bean for most innovative new Fair Trade product on the market, with their launch of Fair Trade doughnuts
- · Discovery Organics in recognition of their commitment to grower development
And many thanks to Discovery Organics, Choices Market, and International Pacific sales for their generous food donations. And also to all those who donated items to this year’s Fair Trade Silent Auction!