Fair trade is a powerful tool that aims to empower marginalized producers with the proper resources, capacity, and key relationships to improve living conditions within their own communities.
Fair trade products are international goods that have been produced and traded in accordance with the principles of fair trade for the benefit of producers in developing communities.
Principles of Fair Frade
- Producers are paid a fair price that covers costs of production and adequate living standards for hired labour.
- Producer groups ensure high standards for labour, environmental sustainability, and respect for cultural identity.
- Producers are paid an additional price premium that supports business development and community initiatives such as improving access to health and education.
- Producers, consumers, and businesses build stronger connections, reducing inefficiencies and encouraging more direct relationships.
- Producers have access to credit, markets, resources, and industry knowledge.